Choices Markets Commissary Kitchen in Burnaby has an opening for a full time Sous Chef. The ideal candidate will supervise and work directly with our production team on a daily basis ensuring our savory food items are consistent for: recipe, quality, taste, food safety, and presentation.
- oversee much of daily kitchen production;
- assist with planning and organizing production schedules;
- oversee and supervise production processes;
- train cooks and support staff in the kitchen;
- work directly alongside cooks, packaging and dispatch staff;
- maintain quality control standards;
- assist in selecting, ordering and purchasing materials;
- monitor & control shrink and waste;
- maintain health and safety standards;
- completes inventory monthly;
- assists Chef as requested in product development;
- assists Commissary Director as requested with systems and change management; and
- other duties as assigned.
- experience in a food manufacturing industry preferred but not essential;
- experience in working in a high intensity food environment helpful;
- diploma from a recognized cooking school and/or experience in a high volume restaurant, hotel, or catering company;
- experience with HACCP or equivalent an asset;
- experience working in a multi-lingual staffing environment; and
- understands and has experience with inventory, scheduling, purchasing, and waste management elements.
The ideal applicant:
- has commercial large volume cooking experience;
- can lift up to 50 lbs;
- has a positive attitude, is hardworking, and is an active mentor;
- is a solution oriented thinker, able to solve problems in a timely and independent manner;
- is passionate about working with both food and people;
- is strong organization, interpersonal, and communication abilities;
- is able to work in “cold rooms” as required; and
- is able to work a variety of shifts as needed including weekends.
The wage for this position is $18-$21/hr, depending on experience.