Recipes & Articles /

Not All Food is Good for Furry Friends


At Choices, we care about the health of your whole family, even the members with four legs and a lot of fur! Pets have different nutritional needs than we do, so there are many healthy foods that might be good for humans but can be harmful when consumed by our furry friends.

The stomach offers the perfect conditions for fermentation of raw yeasted dough. As yeast ferments, the stomach can bloat and ethanol is produced. Ethanol is more commonly found in alcoholic beverages and can be very poisonous. Even 2-3 tsp. of a spirit can kill a cat or small dog.

We all know chocolate is not good for pets. Specifically, the theobromine found in cocoa powder and dark chocolate is toxic to cats and dogs. Similar in structure to theobromine, caffeine is also toxic. Be sure to keep anything containing caffeine including coffee, tea and some sodas safely stored away.

Garlic and onions can cause upsets stomachs in pets, but in more extreme cases can lead to blood cell damage when eaten in large amounts. Although macadamia nuts cannot kill dogs or cats, the nuts can cause some serious symptoms like fever and vomiting. Grapes and raisins are also very poisonous to pets and can lead to kidney failure. Finally, xylitol is found in may sugar-free or alternative sweetener products like gum, candy, baking, sauces and drinks can cause low levels of blood sugar and even liver failure.

Here a few scraps you should think twice about before sharing under the table:

Avocados are poisonous to many types of animal, but not dogs and cats. However, they may still get an upset stomach from it.

Coconut products may not pose a serious risk, but can cause stomach upset and diarrhea. Coconut water, however, is high in potassium and shouldn’t be given to pets

Milk and dairy products cannot be digested due to pets’ lack of the lactase enzyme and may cause stomach upset and diarrhea.

Play it safe, keep foods that may be harmful to pets stowed safely away from curious noses and if you think your pet has eaten anything that may be harmful consult a vet as soon as possible.