Dating to the 18th century, Vin Brûlé is a French spiced wine that is traditionally served at Christmas time. Brûlé translates from French as burned, and in this recipe you will be burning sucanat, red wine, maple sugar and maple syrup into a carmalized concoction that will impress any relative this holiday season! A favourite at any gathering, this mulled wine is sure to warm your spirit (and your toes!) this Christmas.
1. In a heavy bottomed saucepan, simmer the Sucanat, maple sugar, and maple syrup with half a cup of red wine.
2. When all melted, raise the heat until mixture starts caramelizing.
3. Add remaining wine, apple juice and juice from 1/2 lemon.
4. Insert the 3 cloves into the rind of the remaining half lemon and add to liquid along with the cinnamon stick. Stir to keep from sticking and bring to a boil.
5. Ignite mixture carefully and allow flame to burn for a few moments – it will burn itself out, leaving a delicious, lightly alcoholic, festive beverage.
Serve hot and enjoy!
Safety Note: If unsure about flambéing indoors, start BBQ once all liquid ingredients are mixed, and transfer pot onto BBQ, bring to a boil and ignite outdoors.