A scrumptious, savoury skillet bread originally from the South of France, socca is a perfect gluten-free option to serve with soup or to have with sandwich toppings. It will surely satisfy any taste or texture critic. By Choices' Dietitian, Nicole Fetterly, RD.
Find this recipe and many more in Choices new Gluten-Free Food Guide, available for purchase at all Choices locations. Cost is $13.95 + HST.
1. Place heavy skillet (preferably cast-iron) in oven and preheat to 450°F (230°C).
2. In a large bowl, sift garbanzo flour, pepper and salt together. After sifting, add rosemary leaves.
3. Whisk in warm water and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Batter should have the consistency of thick cream.
4. Cover the bowl and let the batter set for at least 30 minutes.
5. Stir sliced onion into the batter.
6. Remove skillet from oven. Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the hot pan.
7. Pour batter into pan and bake for 12 – 15 minutes or until the pancake is firm and the edges are set (top may not be browned at this point).
8. Turn on broiler, set socca a few inches below your broiler for 1 – 2 minutes, just long enough to brown it in spots.
9. Cut into wedges and serve warm.